Each participant undertakes to comply strictly with the participation regulations. Together we ensure a smooth running of the Refugee walk and we monitor the safety and well-being of all participants. Solidarity among the participants and respect for the landscape are the foundation of the Refugee walk. By registering, each participant agrees to the rules below. So read them carefully before you sign up.
The Refugee Walk is a yearly initiative of Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen vzw. It is a sponsor tour of 20 or 40 km. The eight edition is taking place on Sunday the 8th of October in and around Antwerp. In addition, you can walk any distance you prefer by developing your own route. Each participant that joins the event commits to following the following participation rules. In this way we together ensure that the Refugee Walk runs smoothly, and we monitor the safety and well-being of all participants. Solidarity among the participants and respect for the landscape are central during the Refugee Walk.
By registering, each participant agrees to the following rules below. So read them carefully before registering.
- The Refugee Walk welcomes participants of all ages. If you are younger than 16 at the start of the Refugee Walk, make sure to be accompanied by a parent or guardian or have the explicit permission of them with you.
- Each participant pays either 10 euros (if you walk along from the central event in Antwerp) or 5 euros (if you map out your own route) registration fee. Your registration for the Refugee Walk is only valid when we have received your registration fee. We make an exception for asylum seekers and refugees: they can participate for free. In order not to have to pay registration fees, they can request a discount code via email@example.com. Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen vzw uses the registration fee to cover the organizational costs, the logistical and medical support for the participants, as well as insurance for the participants against physical accidents during the trip. Material damage is not covered.
- You can register individually or with a team. You may add an unlimited number of team members to your team.
- Any registration is final and irreversible. In case of non-participation, for whatever reason, the registration fee will not be refunded, even if you have not succeeded in collecting sufficient donations.
- Each participant acknowledges the risks associated with participating in a 20 or 40 km walk. Each participant declares that it is his own responsibility to determine whether he is fit and healthy enough to participate in the Refugee Walk.
- The deadline to register is Thursday the 5th of October 23:59. We must have received your registration fee by then.
- Each participant is automatically subscribed to the newsletter via e-mail of the Refugee Walk upon registration. Each participant receives updates and information about the Refugee walk at regular intervals. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The central event
- The organization can decide at any time to change a route in case of force majeure (weather conditions, road works, etc.). Participants will be informed of this. In that case, participants cannot reclaim their registration fee.
- In case of force majeure (weather conditions, road works, etc.), the organization can decide at any time to cancel one or more routes. Participants will be informed of this. In that case, participating teams can choose a different route or request a refund of their registration fee. The amounts collected will not be refunded under any circumstances.
- In case of force majeure (weather conditions, etc.), the organization can decide at any time to cancel the entire Refugee Walk edition. Participants will be informed of this. In that case, participating teams can choose to request a refund of registration fees. The amounts collected will not be refunded under any circumstances.
- By registering for the Refugee Walk, each participant agrees to the general terms and conditions and privacy rules of the Flemish Council for Refugees. These conditions can be consulted at https://www.refugeewalk.be/privacy.
- Participants give Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen vzw permission to use photos and videos taken in the context of the event for its internal and external communication.
- Each participant has respect for the environment. It is not allowed to leave waste on and around the routes. What is brought must also be taken and thrown in rubbish bins.
- The organization is not responsible for theft or material damage. Each participant is responsible for his own belongings.
- Each team undertakes to collect at least 100 euros per participant for Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen vzw. If a team does not reach this amount, we can prevent them from starting. In this case, we transfer the amount to the next Refugee Walk. The deadline to reach the minimum amount is Friday for the Refugee Walk at noon.
- Refugees and asylum seekers may collect money if they wish. They are not obliged to do this.
- Amounts collected must be deposited via the sponsor pages of the Refugee Walk or into the Triodos account of Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen: BE06 5230 8056 2922 (BIC: TRIOBEBB) with the mention 'Refugee Walk + team name'.
- Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen vzw is a member of the Association for Ethics in Fundraising (VEF). All fundraising activities for Refugee Work Flanders comply with the VEF Code of Ethics.
- If you donate 40 euros or more on an annual basis, you are entitled to a tax certificate from the Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen. We will send it by post before April of the following year using your address details. If you do not want a tax certificate, you can let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration fee is not a gift and does not count towards the tax certificate.
- To receive a tax certificate for tax purposes and therefore to have a tax advantage, your gift must be made by you personally, under your name and from your own personal bank account. Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen cannot issue a tax certificate for deposits that represent the proceeds of collective fundraising.