Where does the collected money go to?
During the Refugee Walk, we welcome a lot of enthusiastic participants who each contribute to the final amount raised. The proceeds of the Refugee Walk go to the operations of Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen. But what exactly happens to the money collected?
Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen has been working for people fleeing war, violence and persecution since '87. Today, we put pressure on policy and raise awareness among the wider public. Together with more than 30 member organisations and countless, motivated volunteers, we work on proper reception and integration, so that everyone can feel at home in Belgium.
We support everyone who assists asylum seekers and refugees. This allows us to:
- welcome refugees on their first day in Belgium
- accompany young refugees to Project Pineapple
- develop our legal helpdesk and provide free legal advice and assistance
- set up educational projects for OKAN (reception class for non-native newcomers), set up language projects for multilingual people,...
- putting pressure on the policy
- mobilising people and campaigning
- providing asylum seekers with a first welcome
- creating extensive training opportunities for people in the sector
- and so much more!
Check out all actions of Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen here.
|Vluchtelingenwerk recieves various sources of funding, but the Refugee Walk remains a very important source of income for the organisation to continue to exist and keep up the good work. Last year, as many as 1,600 strollers walked the Refugee Walk. Together, they raised €340 525 for people fleeing their country. A fantastic result, which we only want to surpass this year.|