Map out your own route
If you opt for your own route in a region of your choice, you have free rein over the details of your hike! However, we would like to give you some tips on how to prepare yourself and we hope you will send us some images of your route, so we can follow along a bit.
- Take enough drinks and snacks with you.
- Put blister plasters in your rucksack and walk in your shoes in advance to minimise physical discomfort.
- Planning to do a 40 km walk? Then be sure to leave on time so you will be back before sunset.
- Something happens on the way? Then we are at your disposal via the emergency number +32 499 71 33 78.
- Take several smartphones and possibly a power bank with you. This way you can be sure that you:
- you have several options for following your route
- you can reach someone if there is a problem
So that we still have the feeling of all walking together, we provide each team that walks its own course with a starter pack. This will be delivered to the team leader's home. What does it contain?
- A flyer with info about the Refugee Walk, but also about other projects of Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen.
- A flag of the Refugee Walk, if you ordered this. The idea is that you take a photo with this flag and your team before, during or after the walk. This way, we can show your team pictures on a big screen during the central event in Antwerp and collect them afterwards. You can share the photo with us in these ways:
- Via WhatsApp to our communications manager Eline: +32 479 13 36 76
- Via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moreover, don't forget to share fun snaps of your walk with the flag on social media with hashtags #RefugeeWalk2023 and #letswalktogether or tag us.
- Stickers from Refugee Walk and Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen: will you help spread our message? Stick it on! (Not on public roads, of course!)